.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The Division of Honors and Journeying Among the Gods :: Christianity God Religion Essays

The function of Honors and Journeying Among the Godsmissing works citedIn this midterm essay I will hold forth why Gods Journey. I believethat Gods journey for twain agents. One reason is to seek stunned honor forthemselves. The other reason is to regain honors they have lost. Todemonstrate this I will first discuss the journeys of Hades in theHomeric hymn To Demeter comparing it to the journey of Hermes in ToHermes. I fell that both of these brother journeys were attempts bythese Gods to net income honors they did not already have. Next I will look atthe companion journeys of Demeter and Apollo. I think that both of theseGods journeyed to regain honors theyd previously had, but lost. finally Iwill conclude by showing how all four-spot Gods had to compromise and divide upthe honors amongst themselves. Earth with its wide roads gaped and thenceover the Nysian field the lord andAll receiver, the many named son of Kronos, sprang out upon herwith his immortal horses. ..Not an unseemly bridegroom among the immortalsis Aidoneus, Lord on Many, your own brother from the same seed to hisshare fell honor when in the base a triple division was do, andhe dwells among those over whom his lot made him lord (To Demeter 16-18, 83-87). I think that these two sets of lines show that Hades viewedPersephone as a prize. Honor was one of the things Hades won when he,Zeus, and Poseidon divided up the world. Thus Hades felt justified injourneying up from the underworld to earth to claim Persephone as hisbride. I feel that he felt he deserved to have her, according to hislogic, because honor was something he was entitled to as a God.I feel that Hermes journey was homogeneous to that of Hades in that hetraveled in order to win honor for himself and for his Mother Maia. Awatcher by night and a gate keeper, soon destined to show forth glorious deeds among the immortal gods. Born at dawn, by midday he play his lyre,and at evening he stole the cattle of fa r shoot Apollon...But I shallbe master of whatever skill is best to fork over for you and me foreverwe shall not suffer, as you bid me, to stay right here and be the onlytwo immortals not plied with gifts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment